[TxMt] A pandoc .txt to .pdf command in markdown bundle

Gildas Hamel gweltaz at ucsc.edu
Wed Dec 24 07:54:06 UTC 2014

I made a simple shell script and a similar system service via automator to turn .txt files into .pdf via xelatex. They work well but require a couple steps outside TextMate. It would be a great convenience to have a command in the markdown bundle that would add this capacity. I tried it but failed even when giving full path to pandoc and pandoc-citeproc which are in /usr/local/bin, or to xelatex. I have little knowledge in these matters and would appreciate any help.

Here is my little shell script:

#!/bin/sh
pandoc -S --filter pandoc-citeproc --latex-engine=xelatex "${1}" -o  "${1}".pdf

My similar automator service:

PATH=$HOME/.cabal/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin:$PATH
for file in "$@"
do
    output=${file%%.*}.pdf
    pandoc -S --filter pandoc-citeproc --latex-engine=xelatex "$file" -o "$output"
done

The metadata at the head of my .md or .txt files give extra info, such as title, font, bibliography, as in:

---
title: My title
author: My Name
date: \today
mainfont: Hoefler Text
bibliography: /Users/me/Library/texmf/bibtex/bib/data.bib
---

Any pointers towards making a markdown bundle command that accomplishes what the scripts above do would be great.
--Gildas