[TxMt] Memory leak?

Peter Kim pjkim00 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 04:01:35 UTC 2014

Just upgraded to tmate2 (2.0-alpha.9529+macports.git.9f177d3) and noticed extremely high memory usage and slowdowns on Mavericks 10.9.2 on a Macbook Pro with 4GB RAM. I have tried resetting to defaults by deleting all the setting files/caches and the problem persists. After I open a large (66 MB, ~600K lines) tab delimited file, the memory usage goes up to 1.4 GB of real memory usage. Even after I close the window, the real memory usage is 800-900 MB although the memory usage falls to ~400 MB. If I open the same file again, the real memory usage goes up to 1.7 GB.

The starting memory usage of textmate is ~40 MB. I can quit textmate and restart and the problem is reproducible.

For comparison, opening the same 66 MB file in vim, the total memory usage is only 80 MB. The expected behaviors for textmate are the following:
1) Memory usage should be in the ballpark of starting footprint (40 MB) + file (66 MB) = 106 MB.
2) After closing the window/file, memory footprint should go back to near starting footprint (40 MB)
3) Closing and reopening a file should not increase memory footprint further.

Peter