[TxMt] Graphics card switching on mid-2010 MBP

Nigel Chapman nigel at macavon.co.uk
Thu Apr 3 15:50:15 UTC 2014

Some time back, I reported that Textmate was causing my MacBook Pro to switch to the discrete graphics card all the time after I’d installed OS X 10.9. After my initial message, a TM build appeared that stopped this happening, but two builds later the behaviour came back. I didn’t follow it up at the time because it only seemed to be affecting this model of MBP, which was also experiencing other graphics problems under Mavericks, so I was waiting for 10.9.2, which was known to include some graphics driver fixes.

10.9.2 didn’t stop TM using the discrete graphics, but TM Build 9523 did. I don’t know whether this was one of the 'Fixes and improvements’ in the release notes, but the behaviour did not reappear with 9527. I thought you should know.

The only remaining oddity is that the discrete graphics still takes over whenever I use the Commit command from the Git bundle. It doesn’t do it when I show uncommitted changes, so it isn’t the diff. It doesn’t matter, just seems strange.

Thanks for cooling my computer down.