[TxMt] Getting Started Questions

Morley Chalmers morleychalmers at icloud.com
Fri May 3 23:55:45 UTC 2013

Years ago I created websites, but I've been away from all forms of coding for several years. I purchased TextMate for because one of the screencasts at http://screencasts.textmate.org/html_text_transformations.mov was so impressive. However the speaker assumes some non-obvious fundamentals.

When he types "html" suddenly <html> </html> appears on the screen nicely formatted. Doesn't for me. Hitting the tab key just jumps the cursor to the right. Hitting return or enter pushes the cursor to a new line. What has he done to effect the transformation? He doesn't say.

I have figured out that when he typed "doctype" he then hits the tab key to present some options. That works.

I'm on a Mac OS X 10.8.3 running TextMate Version 1.5.11 (1635)

What basic assumptions am I missing?

Appreciated.

Morley Chalmers
—
The highest result of education is tolerance. — Helen Adams Keller, lecturer, author, first deaf-blind person to receive a Bachelor of Arts degree (1880–1968)