[TxMt] Re: best example for user-configurable bundle-specific preferences

Phil Schumm pschumm at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 26 23:16:13 UTC 2013

On Mar 26, 2013, at 4:47 PM, Phil Schumm wrote:
> I am working on a bundle (Stata) for which we'd like to implement several user-configurable preferences (e.g., like with the LaTeX or TODO bundles).  These will certainly include both boolean values (i.e., checkboxes) and strings, but may also include other values as well (e.g., selections from a list or a reference to an installed application).  I've looked at the way this is done in the LaTeX and TODO bundles (which are handled a bit differently), but before getting started I was wondering if there was a preferred approach to follow here.  Any suggestions or pointers to examples (or documentation) would be most appreciated.

Ok, I've done some more digging, and realized that I should have done so before posting (sorry for the naive question).  I'll just say a few words here in case this may be of use to anyone else, hoping that those more knowledgable will correct any misstatements I may make.  Looks like both the LaTeX and TODO bundles do in fact handle this the same way, which is to call $DIALOG with their own custom nib file.  Help is available via ctrl-R when on a line containing

    "$DIALOG" help

in a TextMate window.  The result can then be written to

    com.macromates.textmate.plist

and subsequently queried with tm_query.  Seems fairly straightforward, actually.

-- Phil