[TxMt] Re: [TM2] rmate-1.5.5 now a ruby gem... installation difficulties

Tue Mar 19 12:39:15 UTC 2013

On 18 Mar 2013, at 20:12, Jason McC. Smith wrote:

> In the interest of retaining my remaining hair, what's the quick and
> dirty
> way of installing rmate on remote machines now, when one does not have
> admin rights to do a simple install of rubygems?

Afraid it won’t work without rubygem because of how it has moved the
version to a required file and rely on the rubygem loader to setup the
load path.

I would like to once again have rmate a self-contained file, the only
reason for splitting it up was to share the version include with the
gemspec file — but I think it could be handled by refactoring the
rmate executable to be usable as a library as well (with all symbols
encapsulated in a module).

Short-term though my goal was to just make auto-updating work (via
rubygem).

If you need the self-contained version you will need to either grab the
version prior to the gemification commit or maybe give the bash port a
try: https://github.com/aurora/rmate

If you know ruby you may also submit a pull request to make it possible
to ‘require "rmate"’ from the gemspec to be able to access
‘Rmate::VERSION’ :) Though come to think of it, there might be an
issue requiring files w/o a .rb extension, or maybe that was another
language which had this requirement…