[TxMt] Re: Navigate between tabs with keyboard shortcuts

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Sat Mar 16 15:38:15 UTC 2013

> On 16 Mar 2013, at 12:03, Alain Matthes wrote:
>
>> I use a European keyboard (french) and I can't use ⌘1, ⌘2 etc. to access a specific tab with TM2.
>>
>> These shorcuts are used by the Finder to choose a Desktop (Space).
>> In the Preferences System, I use the default keys : ^& , ^é . These shortcuts works perfectly but ⌘1, ⌘2 works also perfectly in the Finder and  I can't use them in TM2.
>
> So the problem here is that Finder steal the keys?
>
> Is this 10.7? What preference pane are you using? I can’t find where this is set, nor do I really understand what you set, or that something like ^é would be a default key and treated as an alias for ⌘1-n…

Allan thanks for your answer.

Firstly I need to say that I'm very happy to use TM2. I find it hard to leave TM1 but now I think that TM2 is awesome. My little problem with the keyboard is the same with TM1 and TM2

I work with 10.8.3 with an Imac (with a macbook pro, the problems are different).
For the preferences, I used Preferences system > Mission Control and  I chose the default settings.
I got : Go to Desktop 1 : ^&, Go to Desktop 2 : ^é  with an english keyboard ^& is equivalent to ^1 and ^é to ^2.

I don't why but on my Imac in the finder or in another application ⌘1, ⌘2 give the action that ^& , ^é (go to Desktop ...). This is also a problem with Terminal because ⌘1, ⌘2 are used to navigate between windows.

And I can say that the Finder steals the keys

>> So I have two possibilities to switch between Desktops in the Finder and none in TM2 to switch between Tabs !!
>> My question is how to modify the shortcuts in TM2 or in Finder ?
>
> Presumably you want to modify them in “Finder” — but I don’t really know what keys you are referring to. By default ⌘1-4 are used by Finder for the view options in the View menu, but only while Finder is active.

No not exactly on the french system with an Imac and a Macbook pro, the view options are ⌥⌘1-4 in the View menu

>> A) Remarks about switching tabs in TM2
>> I can switch between tabs with ⌘} and ⌘{ but I can also make a switch with ⌘⌥-> and ⌘⌥<-.
>> I think it's strange to have two different shortcuts to make the same action
>
> Because on many European layouts the default keys (⌘{ / ⌘}) are awkward or impossible to reach, so we provide an alternative, similarly there are also an alternative to ⌘[ / ⌘] — neither of these alternatives are listed anywhere, so not sure why this is “strange”. You can also close many windows with both ⌘W, ⎋, and ⌘.

Ok It's interesting to know. I remove "strange" !

Finally I have two possibilities :
1)  I change something in the Finder or something else to remove the shortcuts ⌘1, ⌘2
2) I change something in Textmate

The question becomes : is it possible to use something different of ⌘1, ⌘2 in TM2 ?. Perhaps ⌥⌘1-4 ?

Sorry for my bad english

Best regards

Alain Matthes