[TxMt] Re: TextMate 1.5 and Ruby 2.0.0

Fri Mar 8 03:43:14 UTC 2013

On Mar 8, 2013, at 3:59, Matt Neuburg wrote:

> Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
>> […] Did you run the above with Ruby 2.0?
>
> Sure, and it outputs "test", but I really don't quite see what it has to
> with what I asked.

It is testing if the core functionality that TextMate.executor relies on is available and works in ruby 2.0.

> […] In Ruby 2.0 (but not in Ruby 1.8.7 or Ruby 1.9.3) we are
> failing on the "for_fd" line. The question is what to do about that.

Figure out which assumption 2.0 breaks, which is what I was trying to do by having you run the code that tests our core assumptions (creating a pipe and getting the write-end by creating a file descriptor from its integer representation).

> […] Could it be that the TM_ERROR_FD pipe created in executor.rb is somehow not surviving? Is it being closed too soon somehow?

It does look like it is being closed, though _nothing_ in the user script should close this file descriptor, so the most likely explanation would be, that ruby 2.0 closes all open file descriptors (except 0-2) and _before_ handling at_exit code.

I find this a little weird though, if they are actually doing that — should be possible to test though.