[TxMt] Re: Do I have to pay for the final TM 2 license key?

Dustin Wheeler mskblackbelt at me.com
Fri Jul 19 02:05:39 UTC 2013

I have to disagree… distribution via the App Store (or any other distribution method) does not preclude a program from being open source. And according to the Colloquy development page, they're still open source (http://colloquy.info/project/wiki/Development%20Guide). The same situation is true for Growl and Limechat. If you are interested in the development of any of these, the source code is still free, and you a free to download it and build your own software from source. VLC is another example, and was re-added to the iOS App Store today, and remains open source software. The only thing that the label "open source" requires of a developer is that the SOURCE be available for the (not necessarily non-paying) user to download.

Please, prior to demanding that open source software be free, and then claiming that software is not open source if it isn't free, read the gnu.org link provided by Mr. Odgaard which defines the term 'open source'.

Dustin Wheeler
mskblackbelt at me.com

Sent from my iPad