[TxMt] Re: Do I have to pay for the final TM 2 license key?

Ken Snyder ken+textmate at ken.net
Thu Jul 18 20:06:45 UTC 2013

Guys, this is a really nice list please try and be respectful to others on
it. I think Kafi has been a unfairly treated ... I won't name names but if
you could find it in yourself to drop him an email -- off the list
preferably -- to apologise I think that would be very responsible thing to
do.

Kafi, I think what you're running into in your comments is a growing
concern from parts of the software development community in this rapid
"race to zero" where consumers price expectations keep on being lowered and
a developers hard work and skills are often undervalued.  This is shame and
doesn't have to be an outcome of OpenSource movement but its a real
sensitivity and when we're wearing our "consumer hat" I think we all should
try and support people who are doing great things. The old adage "nothing
is truly free" is an important word of warning, especially when you site
examples like Chrome, Android, Open Office, and Java you're talking about
efforts that are being supported with a lot money from corporate entities
who in many cases are intentionally sabotaging competitors margins. This
isn't a self-sustaining system but rather a system that is propped up by
corporate interests and the costs to consumers *are* there they are just
hidden.

Anyway, I will say I'm sorry by the way you were treated but also that I
understand some of the poorly expressed sentiment. I for one think what
Allan has produced is outstanding and I will be paying for it even if I
don't have to.

Ken