[TxMt] Re: Updates

Greg web at web.knobby.ws
Tue Jan 15 17:03:54 UTC 2013

The problem is a corrupt Launch Services database which can be reset by the following command in Terminal

sudo /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/Current/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

and relaunching the Finder.

The solution is discussed in more detail here: TidBITS: Eliminate Duplicates in the Open With Submenu and also an older (2010) discussion here: Right-click open with... showing duplicate apps? - MacRumors Forums

I had the same problem and like Adam at Tidbits hadn't looked into it, but was happy to see a solution.

Glad to be able to contribute as I've always been on the other side.

Greg