[TxMt] Re: TextMate typesetting problems

T. Zha zmail at tzha.net
Tue Dec 31 22:51:19 UTC 2013

Thanks for your suggestion.  Actually I would recommend you and everyone to use the “latex” engine instead of pdflatex.  With latex, you can typeset eps figures directly without converting it to pdf figures and the resulting pdf file has a much sharper resolution than those produced by pdflatex applied to pdf figures, especially when you use the beamer for presentation.

Try this option to see the difference yourself.  That’s why I insist that my students use the latex engine, NOT the pdflatex engine.

I’ve figured out how to make the latex engine work.  Go to Preferences -> Variables, and then add "PATH" under "Variable Name" and "$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/texbin" under "Value". (Make sure you check this addition.)

-----
On Dec 31, 2013, at 12:29 PM, Max Lein <realoreocookie at gmx.de> wrote:

On 31.12.2013, at 07:00 , "T. Zha" <zmail at tzha.net>

> I need latex as engine because it can typeset .eps graph files.  The eps graphs have much better resolution than pdf graphs.
All you need to do is load the package epstopdf and use pdflatex. I seriously caution against using anything but pdflatex these days, most journals have moved to pdflatex (for very good reason), so that's what you should use as well to minimize friction.

Also, if you use the proper tools to convert the eps file to pdf, then the resolution is the same as both are capable of including vector graphics. However, if you convert an eps file the wrong way, the output will be a bitmapped file encapsulated in a pdf file.

Max