[TxMt] Re: Differing ENV when TM2 started from mate

Fri Sep 21 14:54:43 UTC 2012

On Sep 21, 2012, at 1:37 PM, Simon Gregory <mr.simon.gregory at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have TM_RUBY specified to point to rvm's textmate_ruby. When opening TextMate using 'mate .' it subsequently uses the system ruby, but not the system gemset, and bundle commands start to fail because of incompatabilities.

Are you talking about bundle commands or user scripts (⌘R)?

In either case, I guess the issue is that you have gems installed in ~/.gems (or whatever the folder is) which will be picked up by all versions of ruby!?!

Though no bundle commands actually use ruby gems, so, ehm… which bundle commands actually fail?

> When opening TextMate directly, or it is already open when I use mate, all is well.

OK, so I suspect the issue is that you have set RUBYLIB, RUBYOPT, or similar in your shell. When you launch TextMate from your shell, this environment is inherited and would explain why the ruby TextMate use would get your third party gems…

Presently I use a blacklist for the inherited environment, I’ll add RUBY* to this list, although it might perhaps be better to move to whitelisting the variables we do wish to inherit.