[TxMt] Re: TextMate 1 vs 2

Thu Sep 20 21:26:34 UTC 2012

On Sep 20, 2012, at 6:55 PM, Randall Hand <randall.hand at gmail.com> wrote:

> […] Is TM1 still "alive"? Or are users urged to start using TM2?  Am I just really missing
> something in TextMate2?

TM 1.x is not being actively maintained, but it still works great for a lot of people.

TM 2.0 is alpha, and I don’t yet link directly to it from macromates.com because I am aware that there are still some things to iron out before I want to actively steer people toward it — particularly the issue of projects and creating new files is something new users often struggle with.

That said, despite the rather negative outbursts in this thread, a lot of people find most aspects of 2.0 vastly superior to 1.x, but the “learning curve” is a little steep, as the UX hasn’t seen any polish and GUI is still lacking for some aspects.

> […] project-specific environment variables, and true "Projects" are important to me.

The first part has IMO been much improved in 2.0 because they are now just text files which can be version controlled, see e.g. http://blog.macromates.com/2011/git-style-configuration/ (although several of the settings mentioned has since received UI).

For the second one, I assume you mean grouping files which are spread out over your disk (and not via symbolic links); this is probably not something I am going to add, but part of the decision for making 2.0 open source was to allow users to add the things I don’t care for.