[TxMt] TextMate 1 vs 2

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 16:55:15 UTC 2012

So I'm a bit late to the TextMate wonderfulness.. I've been using the
30-day trial version for the last week, and got it pretty customized to
my liking.  Project+, MissingDrawer, SVNMate, bundles, a few custom
Templates for my C++ projects, etc.  Loving it.

Today I went out and got the latest TextMate2 compile from about 2 days
ago, I believe, and wow.  That's a huge step backward IMO.  No
"Projects" that I can see, just look at a Directory (which doesn't work
for me, my Directory Structure != Project structure).  No support for
Templates either, it seems, which I just recently figured out and
_really_ love (great to just pull in a template of my base C++ class and
"fillin the blanks").  Plus lots of things I customized don't see to be
there anymore, or are buried in the new "tm_properties" file.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what to do next.  I was getting
ready to buy TextMate1, but if this is what TextMate2 is going to look
like maybe I should evaluate some other tools.  Is TM1 still "alive"?
Or are users urged to start using TM2?  Am I just really missing
something in TextMate2?  I'm a C/C++ developer that also uses Arduino,
CMake, Python, and other stuff, so things like CTags, project-specific
environment variables, and true "Projects" are important to me.

--
Randall Hand
http://www.yeraze.com