[TxMt] Problem saving to NFS share from b9147

Steve Holden S.J.Holden at brighton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 09:39:06 UTC 2012

Hi, folks

I’m loving TM v2 – and would love to switch to it full-time, but have found a critical bug for me in b9147 which is making that awkward.

One of my projects is hosted on an old NFS v3 share (hosted on old Solaris 9 server) which is auto-mounted on my Mac Pro (running 10.6.8 – which I’m conscious is becoming deprecated with TM2; I’ll be upgrading to 10.8 soon).  The file is owned by a different user, but the share is root-mountable from my workstation, so ‘sudo’ will allow me to update the file.

After making a change to a file, I press CMD-S, enter my credentials, and it prompts with:
The document “filename.pm” could not be saved.
set_attributes() failed: Attribute not found.
The file *is* updated on disk, but the red “close window” icon in the top-left of the window remains in its unsaved state, and TM thinks the file hasn’t been saved.

I’ve tried the TM1-style fix (though I’m not sure whether this still applies to TM2) before restarting TM2:
http://manual.macromates.com/en/saving_files#extended_attributes_metadata
but this doesn’t help.

Logged messages:

$ g textmate /var/log/system.log
Sep 18 10:07:06 [0x0-0x76a76a].com.macromates.TextMate.preview[34899]: TextMate: error unobserving fd 31: No such file or directory
Sep 18 10:07:06 [0x0-0x76a76a].com.macromates.TextMate.preview[34899]: TextMate: error unobserving fd 13: No such file or directory
Sep 18 10:07:07 SecurityAgent[46060]: com.macromates.textmate.openfile|2012-09-18 10:07:07 +0100
Sep 18 10:07:09 [0x0-0x76a76a].com.macromates.TextMate.preview[34899]: authorization (pid 34899): got ‘com.macromates.textmate.openfile’
Sep 18 10:07:09 com.macromates.auth_server[51179]: authorization (pid 51179): got ‘com.macromates.textmate.openfile’

I’m not expecting you to be able to replicate the problem (my condolences if you’re using NFS for anything ;-), but I thought I should report the problem in case it was helpful.  Is there anything I could try which would help you troubleshoot this?

If there’s a local change I can make (a .tm_properties file option for the root of the shared folder, say), I’d be grateful for any advice…
(in the meantime, this is all the incentive I need to transition off our old NFS server to our git repo ;-) ).

Best wishes,
Steve

PS my NFS shares are mounted with these options (which usually help with Solaris NFS servers)

$ m /etc/nfs.conf
# Mount options to help ease problems with flaky NFS connections to Solaris 10 NFS (v4) shares

nfs.client.mount.options = vers=3,tcp,resvport,soft,intr,bg,locallocks,rdirplus,nosuid,nodev