[TxMt] mate in TM2 and synctex

chlists chlists at me.com
Tue Sep 11 01:28:28 UTC 2012

Hi list,

I have a question related to TM2 and the mate command line. I have upgraded to TM2 (most recent version on OS 10.6.8) and removed/installed the command line tool through the preferences dialogue. This has put an executable called 'mate' into /usr/local/bin. So far all good.

In the old TM (v1.x), 'mate' is a symlink in /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/Resources/ pointing to /Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/bin/mate

If I now try to run 'mate' after my upgrade to TM2 and 'mate' installation I get:

/usr/local/bin/mate: line 2: /bin/find_app: No such file or directory
/usr/local/bin/mate: line 2: /Contents/Resources/mate: No such file or directory

Looking at 'mate' this is a shell script:

#!/bin/sh
"$("$TM_SUPPORT_PATH/bin/find_app" com.macromates.TextMate.preview)/Contents/Resources/mate" "$@"

pointing to $TM_SUPPORT_PATH (ie for TM2 this should be "/Applications/TextMate\ 2.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support" I believe, going by the TM1 setup).

In the new TM2 alpha, however, /Applications/TextMate\ 2.app/Contents/Resources does not contain a 'mate' executable, neither does the folder /Applications/TextMate\ 2.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/ exist. In fact, I could not find the 'mate' executable at all in the application bundle.

So my question is: where is 'mate' in TM2 located and how do I fix the sync with Skim?

Thanks,
Chris