[TxMt] Re: TM (1.5.10) - auto translation of CR to LF on save?

Eric Hall lists+textmate at darkart.com
Fri Jan 6 20:25:33 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jan 06, 2012 at 03:03:12PM -0500, Steve King wrote:
> On 2012-01-06 13:15, Eric Hall wrote:
> > 	We've discovered (naturally in an unpleasant way)
> > that TM (1.5.10) will translate CR (0x0d) in a file to
> > LF (0x0a) on save - even when the Line Endings setting
> > "Use for existing files as well" is not checked.
> > This seems like a bug, as it seems the settings are to
> > leave existing files alone with respect to potential
> > line ending characters.
> > 	Is this a known issue?

[snip]

> Is it possible that your original file started with mixed line endings?
> In that case I think TM will either save the file with your default line
> ending rather than trying to preserve the inconsistencies.  Here's a
> file with mixed line endings; first CRLF, then CR, then LF.

	Yes, this is the case here (sorry, I'd meant to mention
that) - we have files with LF line endings, a few wound up with
CRs in the lines due to the data involved.  Thus we've got
text files with LF line endings and a CR (one or more) in the
middle of some of the lines.

	My simple example (note the cr after the colon):

% od -a CRtoNL.txt
0000000    T   h   i   s  sp   i   s  sp   t   h   e  sp   t   e   s   t
0000020    :  cr  sp  sp   a   n   d  sp   s   h   o   u   l   d  sp   a
0000040    l   l  sp   b   e  sp   o   n   e  sp   l   i   n   e  nl
0000057

	Open the above with TextMate and save (no need to add another line):

% od -a CRtoNLTMSaved.txt
0000000    T   h   i   s  sp   i   s  sp   t   h   e  sp   t   e   s   t
0000020    :  nl  sp  sp   a   n   d  sp   s   h   o   u   l   d  sp   a
0000040    l   l  sp   b   e  sp   o   n   e  sp   l   i   n   e  nl
0000057

		-eric