[TxMt] Re: Macros and Proxies

Tue Feb 14 10:33:43 UTC 2012

On 01/02/2012, at 01.37, Steve King wrote:

> I've looked all over TM2, but I can't find a way to save a macro once I've recorded it. […]

Not implemented.

> And how about proxy commands in bundles? I realize they're in a preliminary state now, but is there a list of available actions?  Are proxies intended to be the evolution of macros?

Proxies is something new. The content is a query for a semantic class, so a list of actions exists indirectly as the semantic classes defined for your installed bundle items.

The idea with proxies is that we can have general actions like “Run” which can be used in toolbars, palettes, or a simplified “Source” menu (with Run, Build, Validate Syntax, etc. or Text → Format → Bold, Italic, Underline) and also simplified key bindings as e.g. the key for Validate Syntax (⌃H) is only defined once (via proxy item).

So a proxy item is really just a placeholder for the item(s) matched by the query (given the current scope).

The system is however, as you say, preliminary. Though it is what drives the unified ⌘Y to get to the SCM actions.

> What prompted these questions was a search for a way to reassign the column-select keystroke. In TM1 I could define a macro to map it to something sane, like ^B.  Is there a way (yet) to do something similar in TM2?

Column select key stroke, as in, tapping the option key?

You can add an entry to your ~/Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict and use the selector ‘toggleColumnSelection:’.

> On a stylistic note, I really would like "Change to Column Selection" to be put back into the Edit menu. It's not obvious (at least, not to me...) that tapping ALT is the way to do it, and it's not the kind of thing you can figure out by experimentation.  I looked all over for how to make a column selection in TM2 and finally found it in a blog post.

While I won’t dispute the value of a menu item, why wouldn’t you assume that the way to do it in 1.x still worked (tapping the option key)? I assume your question about rebinding the key reveals that perhaps you never got into that in 1.x, hence the reason.