[TxMt] Re: ctags and the TmCodeBrowser.tmplugin

Steve King sking at arbor.net
Thu Oct 13 18:08:10 UTC 2011

On 2011-10-13 06:52, Jerry wrote:
> I thought I would give ctags in Textmate a try. I installed the TmCodeBrowser.tmplugin and got stuff in the CodeBrowser window only for C. ctags is supposed to work for lots of languages so I tried Pascal and Python but the CodeBrowser window remained empty.

I also use TmCodeBrowser, and Python support works fine here, as do
other languages.  Do you have a bad config file by any chance?
TmCodeBrowser saves its config in your home directory, in
~/.ctags.tmcodebrowser, and falls back to built-in defaults if that file
isn't found.  You might experience problems if the config file exists
but is empty; I don't know what the behavior would be in that case.

> I can run ctags on an Ada file and a tags file is generated in the same directory that looks like it has lots of relevant stuff in it, so why doesn't the TmCodeBrowser.tmplugin pick it up?

The TM plugin uses its own copy of ctags, located within the
TmCodeBrowser.tmplugin bundle. You'll probably need to replace that one
if you need to run a modified version.  You may need to add a line to
the config file to recognize Ada file names. (And, if you're using a
modified executable, the config file might be the normal ~/.ctags
instead of the ~/.ctags.tmcodebrowser version. I'm not sure if he's
changed the default config file in the ctags source, of if he's just
passing the config file name on the ctags command line.)

Check the TmCodeBrowser manual if you haven't already. (Config dialog,
"Manual..." button.) It doesn't directly address your problems but it
should provide clues.

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer