[TxMt] Re: ada bundle setup

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu Nov 10 00:13:11 UTC 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 2:02 AM, numa gmail wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I discovered Textmate this summer and can't let go of it ^^
> I'd like to use the Ada bundle, but when I try to run my program, textmate tells me "gnatmake: command not found". I suppose I did something wrong  with the config.

I've modified the Ada bundle to work with GNAT projects (GPR) so my comments might be a little off because of that.

This might be two different solutions. First, make sure that your PATH environment variable includes the path to your GNAT binaries. On my system, this is /usr/local/adacore-gnat-2010/bin. Best to set this up in your profile file.

Second (or alternatively), in TextMate, deselect everything in the drawer and click the "i" icon. There, make a new variable, e.g., MY_GNAT_BIN, and set its value to the same path as above. But look inside the Build command part of the bundle to make sure that this is actually the variable name that is used there.

FWIW, I have modified and extended the Ada bundle to work with projects and gprbuild rather than gnatmake. I'm no guru, but once I figured out a little about GNAT projects, I found that an easier way to do builds. I have commands Build, Build and Run, Run, Debug, and Clean. I also added an Ada template which is just a hello world with some preliminary comments. All this is based on a Finder project folder template which I think is reasonable—just copy the template project folder and change the value of MY_PROJECT_ROOT (see above) and you have a whole new empty but ready-to-use project. I need to contact the original author of the Ada bundle but I managed to delete his name from my copy of his bundle 8^/ and haven't gotten around to finding it (are you here?) to see if he would be interested in combining efforts. Also, there are one or two little bugs in the Ada bundle that need fixing but I don't know how to do it.

It looks like Ada on Xcode is a dead proposition as that adapter kit has not been maintained. I rather liked it even though I had problems with the GUI debugger working on non-trivial programs. But my mods to the TextMate bundle have kept me going.

I wonder if there is enough interest in the Mac Ada community in pooling efforts to get a first-class TM bundle together. The Pascal TM bundle looks absolutely amazing, although I haven't used it.

Jerry