[TxMt] Re: Python Bundles

Phil textmate at luminated.net
Tue May 3 19:52:15 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Phil <textmate at luminated.net> wrote:
> I am considering TextMate for my Python development, comparing it to
> Emacs/Vim, WingIDE, and Eclipse/PyDev and such.

At this point I have actually had the best experience with Emacs, but
I still find TextMate to be nice, so I bought a licence – despite the
recent thread on users feeling abandoned, lacking news on TM2.
(One scary thing happened just half a minute after entering the
licence, though: My first "quit unexpectedly" crash of TextMate. I
hope the program does not start to misbehave now after my trial days
are over – "sorry, honeymoon's over, back to reality" ... :-D)

Also, I look forward to testing TM when I drop back to some Ruby stuff
later ... :)

> Using the official Python bundle I seem to only get completion on
> commands, not lookup of methods on the object at the cursor. I think I
> got this working in the Ropy bundle (Ctrl+p for completion), both rope
> and ropeide is installed in Python. But I can't seem to get
> definitions of methods and functions by pressing Ctrl+] (Ropy) and
> using F3 and ^H (Python Bundle), I get only module and function defs,
> not methods.

As for command completion, it works nicely, both RopeMate and Ropy
works. RopeMate is nicer. But I have not gotten definitions of methods
to work/pop up. It should be Ctrl+] in Ropy, I think, but it doesn't
work.
So, call type defs and such works better in Emacs, but still I like
TextMate's project drawer/organizing, and after setting full path to
my python installation first in PATH (under advanced), stuff seems to
work well.

So, if any of you Pythonistas have other tips, stuff I should look, let me know.
Else I will probably just switch back and forth between Emacs and TM
until I find out which gives the best flow in the long run.
(Unless I feel the need for a real IDE when I start digging into a
bigger project I probably will be working on.)

--
Phil :)