[TxMt] Re: Textmate froze, and emptied out my file...

Steve King sking at arbor.net
Tue May 3 16:29:23 UTC 2011

On 2011-05-02 18:50, Phillip Salfity wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestions. I've already checked trash, hidden files,
> clip board, etc nothing... and I do have autosave turned on, it froze
> as I was saving manually. then the application quit, and when I open
> the application again the file was empty. It shows that the last edit
> was at the time of the freeze- its like as if textmate saved an empty
> file over it. If I could get the previous verision that I saved about
> 10 minutes before hand I would be all set.

I feel your pain. Never had a problem with TextMate in particular, but
I've had entire disk images corrupted by having to hard power-cycle my Mac.

I just want to point out that Thomas Mai's suggestion wasn't to enable
autosave, but atomic save.  Normally saving a file means overwriting it
in place, which is a real bummer if there's a problem during the write.
Atomic saves actually write to a temporary file, then rename that temp
file to the name of the file you're saving.  If anything crashes during
the write you can lose your changes, but the old version is still safe
under the original filename. Atomic saves do have some downsides. As the
tooltip mentions, they'll break hard links. But that's probably not an
issue for 99% of what most people do. They can also be problematic on
some network file systems.

I hope you can recover without too much suffering!

--
Steve King
Sr. Software Engineer