[TxMt] Re: Save as

Fritz Anderson fritza at uchicago.edu
Wed Dec 21 20:26:58 UTC 2011

On 20 Dec 2011, at 2:55 PM, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> Apple apps in Lion no longer have the old 'Save'  menu item  so for example  pre-Lion  the file menu in TextEdit had
>
>    Close   Cmd-W
>    Save    Cmd-S
>    Save As Shift-Cmd-S
>
> now in Lion it's:
>
>    Close                 Cmd-W
>    Save A Version   Cmd-S
>
> So there's no way in TextEdit to save a replacement for the current file.

Save As… has become Duplicate. Save a Copy As… has become Export.

The only differences between Duplicate and Save As… are:

1) The original document stays open.

2) You aren't asked for a name and location for the new one until you explicitly save. If you want a new name right away, do a Save.

I'm not asking you to like it, but the functionality you're missing is in fact there. The Macintosh has never fit the mental models of contemporary techies. The whole point of the platform is that users shouldn't be punished with data loss until they learn to think like the techies of their day.

Perhaps if a tool is explicitly for technical users (should LaTeX and Markdown authors have to be technical?), it should stick with the explicit saving model.

	— F