[TxMt] Re: Projects are gone in TM2?

Thu Dec 15 11:00:55 UTC 2011

On 15 Dec 2011, at 11:17, Max Lein wrote:

> […] not gluing yourself to the file system layout also give you the opportunity to do things that go beyond what you can think of when relying on the filesystem alone.

Given TextMate’s philosophy it’s the opposite. When you use the file system for your project then SCM works fine because it is told that “this folder is a project”, TextMate commands work fine with the project, because they have a single root project folder, backing up the project works fine because tar can be told about a single project folder, etc.

Anyway, I think enough have been said about projects. My initial letter may have come off too strong: I was listing what can be used now in the “project context”, I was not saying everything is frozen and nothing will change: I of course have many ideas about better command integration in the file browser (there already is some but it’s less than a shadow of what I envision), virtual data sources in the browser (the SCM status view is an example of such which “ignore” the file system), turning the present session restore in AppSupport/Session into “file packages” so we can easily work with multiple sessions even in a file-system friendly way, etc.

But definitely I am of the opinion that one should work with the file system because that is the “portable” way to represent a project.