[TxMt] Re: Projects are gone in TM2?

Max Lein realoreocookie at gmx.de
Wed Dec 14 17:46:51 UTC 2011

Am 14.12.2011 um 16:32 schrieb Dave Baldwin:

> It may not work for you but I gave up on textmate's project feature a long time ago and just open the app's directory in textmate.  [...]
>
> You can include any other directory in your apps directory using a symlink - not quite the same as how is would be done in a  project, but achieves the same thing.

> I'd be curious to know what I am overlooking that makes projects so compelling.
I mainly use TextMate for larger LaTeX and very much prefer Projects over just loading directories. I very much like grouping files (e. g. content, misc, logs) in subdirectories that don't exist in the file system and cannot be put in that order in the file system (since LaTeX generates them in the same directory as the tex source files. Furthermore, I can arrange the files in the order I want them to appear in (the most important ones are on top of the list).

Also, LaTeX generates tons of files I'm never interested in, but share the same ending as other files (e. g. I may care about some log files, but not others).

Until a few years ago, Projects could be used to make certain settings stick (e. g. the location of the bibliography file or to set the TeX master file), but nowadays, you can add code to the top of the file which does the same things. On the other hand, co-workers do not always appreciate this extra »cryptic« code. Whenever I create a new TeX file, I have to put things like the TeX engine I use and the TeX master file in the first lines of the file. Putting these settings in the projects file makes managing things easier, though.

To me, projects offer a much cleaner and simpler way to work with large projects. Also, if you look at other pieces of software, e. g. Aperture, Mendeley or Papers, they revolve around projects rather than files and folders.

So I'd very much appreciate if Projects are implemented one way or another and that TextMate users are not forced to use the structure of the file system to organize their work.

Max