[TxMt] Re: Honest assessment of TM2's state please!

Watts Martin layotl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 20:11:09 UTC 2011

David Clark wrote:

> Alan does not owe anybody anything.
>
> If you are unhappy with TM1 use another application - end of story.

The problem is that since TextMate 2 was announced -- which at this
point is well over three years ago -- there's been very little other
than maintenance releases on TM 1, and sometimes those have been few and
far between. While this is a subjective measure, by my count the last
substantive new features to TM 1 were added in 2008.

We were told, in June 2009, that work was 90% completed. "I use 2.0 for
my own work, day-to-day, and the basic infrastructure is pretty solid,"
Allan wrote then. "Hopefully an alpha version will be ready before too
long."

That was nearly two years ago. And it's nearly a year and a half past
the followup post in January 2010 that referred to "the version I hope
to release in maybe half a year."

It's kind of tough to swallow the implicit argument that now, as we head
into May 2011, there still isn't anything that's releasable as an alpha.
And *that's* what has people worried, I think, more than anything else.

--
Watts Martin <layotl at gmail.com>