[TxMt] Re: Defaulting to soft tabs + undoing hard tabs

Joe Lapp arachnojoe at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 03:53:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Watts Martin <layotl at gmail.com> wrote:
> TM should -- assuming I'm remembering this correctly! -- remember the soft
> tab setting on a per filetype basis. If you set "soft tabs, 4 spaces per
> tab" when an HTML file is open and save that file that way, the next time
> you open an HTML file, it'll be opened in soft tabs, 4 spaces per tab.

This appears to be correct.  However, something doesn't work with this
solution.  My files are now a mix of hard and soft tabs.  My older
edits are soft tabs, my newer are hard tabs.  My edits are all now
back to soft tabs, though I'm not entirely sure what I did to fix
this.

Perhaps I accidentally changed soft tabs to hard tabs in some file,
without realizing it?  I recall once or twice accidentally popping up
that status bar tab menu.  Maybe that's just not a safe place for the
tab setting.  I now have to clean up who knows how many files.

Or perhaps something else went wrong?  Did I lose my tab settings on a
TextMate update and not know to go in and re-set them?

> There's a menu command to convert hard tabs to soft tabs, which you probably
> already know about; I don't know of a way to automatically link that to the
> 'save' action, though.

Actually, I spent some time looking for it, but hearing you say it's
there got me systematically going through the menu until I found it.
I've got it now (Text -> Convert -> Tabs to Spaces).

Thank you!  Macromates, please find something to fix!  ;o)

~joe