[TxMt] Re: How to share bundle

Matt Neuburg matt at tidbits.com
Mon Oct 18 15:25:47 UTC 2010

vedran <vedran.kolac at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two computers that i work with, so i need the same bundle on each
> comp. I'm mostly working with Actionscript bundle in witch I've add some of
> my snippets and commands. I've try to share this bundle (export via drag'n
> drop from bundle editor) on secon computer and it tells me that i dont have
> .plist file in it. Can someone help me with that? What should i do in this
> situation?

It all depends on how you normally coordinate your computers. I can only
tell you what I do.

I've written a synchronizer application, SyncMe2:

<http://www.apeth.net/matt/default.html#cocoathings>

Using this, I can update any folder's contents across two computers. I
use this to synchronize almost the entire User. I treat one computer as
the master and the other as the slave (the slave computer is a portable,
so I swap roles when the slave computer travels with me).

However, I don't like having to remember to reach in and do this for any
Application Support folders. Luckily, there is no need to do so, because
it turns out that TextMate will obey a symlink.

So, in Application Support/TextMate/Bundles (on both machines), the
bundles I want to keep synchronized are actually symlinks. The real
tmbundle folders are elsewhere, where I can easily get at them. So when
I synchronize the computers, the tmbundle folders are included.

Except that there's a slight problem: modifying a bundle's contents
doesn't necessary change its modification date, so my synchronizer
doesn't know that it should copy the tmbundle file from one computer to
the other. So, if I know I've made a change in the bundle on the master
machine, I also "touch" that bundle (using the Terminal or whatever is
convenient).

m.

--
matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!