[TxMt] Re: Why relative paths and not absolute in project files?

Dru Kepple dru at summitprojects.com
Tue Mar 30 21:07:02 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: textmate-bounces+dru=summitprojects.com at lists.macromates.com [mailto:textmate-bounces+dru=summitprojects.com at lists.macromates.com] On Behalf Of Jan Jakob Bornheim
Sent: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:52 PM
To: TextMate users
Subject: [TxMt] Re: Why relative paths and not absolute in project files?

On 2010-03-30, at 4:39 PM, BarryW wrote:
>> If it used absolute paths and someone tried to move both the project
>> and the directory together, they would see that all the files went
>> red and wonder why it didn't just use relative paths. :)
>>
> Thanks for the answer here, but it's not really the correct one.

Just thought I'd chime in with an observation.  I was just curious where these strings you mention were, and started poking around the tmproj file (I never realized it was just plist!).  I opened up two different tmproj files, and saw that I happened to open one with files on my Mac, and one with files on a server. The one with local files has relative paths, but the one on the server (and I would assume other volumes) had absolute paths.

I'm just observing...not sure what to do with that tidbit of information, but just thought someone could use that to their advantage.  Maybe if you really wanted absolute paths, make sure you save your tmproj to a different volume?  Then you could move it whereever you wanted?  Maybe?  Just a thought.

+dru