[TxMt] Re: LaTeX bundle; reference/citation completion bug + suggested fix

Andrew Hill lists at thefrog.net
Tue Jan 12 12:58:32 UTC 2010

> Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:05:55 +0100
> Subject: [TxMt] Re: LaTeX bundle;       reference/citation completion bug +
>        suggested fix
>
> On 11 Jan 2010, at 09:55, Andrew Hill wrote:
>  > it seems to be the character %0A
>
> 0x0A is not shown as a diamond with show invisibles.
>
> Try instead to select the diamond in TextMate and press ??X to
> convert it to hexadecimal.

Right you are!
My apologies and thanks for teaching me a new trick. I also just discovered
if I open up the "Edit -> Special Characters..." menu item, I can drag and
drop the character into the window there to see what it is.

Anyway, it's the 0x0D character (carriage return) — I suspect my browser or
the clip-board decided to clean up the line endings of the copied/pasted
text by converting CR to LF before...

So it's picking up the CR char because my .tex file has CRLF line endings,
and I guess the ruby script is finding ends of lines by LF character only.
To test this, I converted the document to LF line endings and the original
ruby script worked fine (as did the one with the .strip addition).
With the CRLF line endings, the .strip (or better yet a removal of just
trailing CR) is required. Alternatively, can ruby deal with CRLF line
endings on its own?

For completeness I tried saving my document with CR line endings, and the
error message was basically a re-paste of my entire document as the filename
(i.e. Ruby is not parsing the CR chars as line endings, only LFs). Though I
doubt anyone really uses CR line endings...

Andrew