[TxMt] Switch back to editor window after command

Josh Cheek josh.cheek at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 12:44:12 UTC 2010

Hi, I have a command (html output) that will be run frequently to give a
status update. Based on it's output, the user will make a change to their
code and run it again. But it gets tedious having to click back onto the
window every time they run the command.

Is there a way to have my command automatically switch back to the window
they've been writing their text in, after displaying the output, so that the
output updates, but user focus appears to remain in the editor window?

I hunted through some Applescript for the last hour, but haven't seen
anything I could figure out how to use.

I tried recording the command with automator, it gave me

-- Press ⌘`
delay 0.232022
set timeoutSeconds to 2.000000
set uiScript to "keystroke \"`\" using command down"
my doWithTimeout( uiScript, timeoutSeconds )

on doWithTimeout(uiScript, timeoutSeconds)
    set endDate to (current date) + timeoutSeconds
    repeat
        try
            run script "tell application \"System Events\"
" & uiScript & "
end tell"
            exit repeat
        on error errorMessage
            if ((current date) > endDate) then
                error "Can not " & uiScript
            end if
        end try
    end repeat
end doWithTimeout

Then I tried placing that in a system call to osascript at the end of my
command, but it didn't seem to do anything.