[TxMt] Re: how do I go to end of line and/or go to start of line

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Sun Apr 25 12:51:42 UTC 2010

On Apr 25, 2010, at 0:58, Adam Sharp wrote:

> As a point of interest, it seems that the Fn key doesn't behave like
> the standard modifier keys, Cmd, Option and Ctrl. For example,
> forward delete doesn't appear as Fn-Delete on that list you linked
> to, but has its own glyph; whereas, the other modifier keys all
> appear explicitly. Anyone know if this behaviour is global for the
> Fn key, or whether it is special for delete? I'm just curious :)

The Fn key is best thought of not as a Modifier Key but rather as a
low-level switch to a virtual alternate set of keyboard keys.
Applications generally don't (can't?) make distinctions based on it;
the alternate functions (return/enter, delete/fwd delete, arrows/page
keys, F-keys/special functions) are selected at the operating system
level.

At least, that's how it feels based on using it; I haven't looked into
the actual technical details.

By the way, a useful difference between ⌘← ⌘→ and ⌃A ⌃E:

  ⌃A ⌃E go to the ends of the text line: "stop before the newline".
  They ignore soft wrapping.

  ⌘← ⌘→ go to the left and right ends of the *screen display*.
  They treat soft wrapping just like hard wrapping.

I find that ⌃A ⌃E are more often what I want, but ⌘← ⌘→ can
be useful when the problem is less "navigate to a significant point in
the text" than "how can I get the cursor to *that spot right there*
with the fewest keystrokes?"

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>