[TxMt] Speed Up LaTeX Bundle?

Thomas Shafer tshafer at physics.unc.edu
Sat Apr 24 15:32:29 UTC 2010

Greetings,

I have used TextMate for some time for programming and other text-editing things and I love the program.  I would like to use it for LaTeX documents as well; it's superior customization is a significant help in speeding up technical writing.  However, the speed of compilation in TM is incredibly slower than in TeXShop, the program I am forced to use now.  It is a significant enough difference that it is incredibly frustrating to use TM for LaTeX.  Both programs are using pdflatex engine, I am not running the Latexmk.pl script, and I'm running straightforward scripts (mostly for short papers and class assignments) so there should be no speed difference?

I wonder if anyone else had this issue and if there is some kind of fix.  I am running on a 6-month-old MacBook Pro so speed should not be an issue --- I had read someone re-wrote the compile script to be faster, but have not found any link to such a script.  I have put a screencast at http://files.tomshafer.name/misc/textmatelatex/ demonstrating the differences both in initial compile time (not an issue) and subsequent file time (very important to me — I compile every minute or so to preview changes).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!  I very much enjoy TextMate and to be able to write LaTeX would be a magnificent upgrade for me.

Cheers,
Tom Shafer

Dept. of Physics & Astronomy