[TxMt] Re: TM lags when switching

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Tue Sep 22 23:58:59 UTC 2009

On Sep 22, 2009, at 2:47 PM, Dru Kepple wrote:

>> From: Scott Haneda <talklists at newgeo.com>
>> Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 13:21:08 -0700
>> To: TextMate users <textmate at lists.macromates.com>
>> Conversation: [TxMt] Re: TM lags when switching
>> Subject: [TxMt] Re: TM lags when switching
>>
>> I do not have project plus installed and I am not using projects.
>> Anyone at all know how to solve this?  Some of the lags are pretty
>> slow.  If I am working in css/html and toggle back and forth from TM
>> to a browser, I may do that 1000's of times d day.
>>
>> I have tried the "disable refresh on gaining focus" but I am not sure
>> that is relevant.  This is moving away from TM, not moving into it.
>>
>> Are there any tricks for speeding this up?  I am surprised that this
>> is not more widely known, or is TM simply not used for a lot of web
>> development?
>
> I've not seen this; but I have seen slow-downs on gaining focus when
> working
> on a document (or worse, a whole project) on a server.  Could be a
> similar
> issue, though...the save process might be taking long enough to hang
> things
> a little.
>
> For what it's worth, I think TM is used extensively in web design.
> At my
> agency, all Mac-based programmers use it.  We've migrated to
> individualized
> versioned local development, which alleviates the slow-down/refresh
> issue.

I have a feeling this is pervasive, and it just takes the right type
of person to notice it.  If you are a developer that is very mouse
driven, I doubt you are going to notice it. If you command-tab back
and froth from TM to a browser, 100's of times an hour, you notice it
really quick.

I little googling and I am finding a few reports of it.  I have a
feeling it is not solvable, but I am looking to find out what the
cause is for it just out of curiosity.

I also wonder if Snow will solve it.

I have had this follow me around form a Dual PPC 2.5Ghz machine, to a
two different intel C2D machines as well.  I just tossed the TM cache
files, maybe that will help with it a little.  As it is now.  Pretty
sure I remember it happening on initial install, so I do not think it
is something that happens over time.

I do not have "save files when focus is lost", but that does at least
tell me that TM does think about something when losing focus.  The
"disable refresh on regaining focus" plugin setting is not stateful,
and I forget to turn it on sometime, but now that I know, I can try to
see if that will solve this in part.

Thanks for your comments.