[TxMt] Re: R.tmbundle and R.2.10 help

Stefan Evert stefan.evert at uos.de
Mon Nov 9 22:03:07 UTC 2009

>> Has anyone come up with a quick workaround for it ??
>
> Yes, I'll working on it (help for R >=2.10 and R < 2.10) if I finished
> a very large and urgent R project (using 2.9.2). Thus please be
> patient.

Cool, thanks!

> Since I haven't installed R 2.10 yet, I have some tiny question:
> 1) What does happen if you execute "?mean" ?

R starts a built-in Web server that generates HTML help pages
dynamically (and handles things like searches through the Web
interface). It uses a randomly selected local port, which you should
easily be able to figure out in the R process.

> 2) Are there any tex, man pages available?
> (in /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/library/PACKAGE_NAME/
> help_or_latex)

Nope.  Just a binary database (*.rdb / *.rdx) in the help/ subdirectory.

You can ask for static HTML pages during package installation (from
source), but most users will get the pre-built binaries from CRAN
without any "readable" version of the help pages.

Best,
Stefan