[TxMt] Re: newbie subversion question

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 23:09:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Dan Weeks
<dan+textmate at danimal.org<dan%2Btextmate at danimal.org>
> wrote:

> On 2009-03-27 17:23, Gerd Knops threw down some bits like this:
> >
> > On Mar 27, 2009, at 3:45 PM, Thorsten Hamann wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, lots of people here use the subversion bundle. In fact, I'd guess
> > > that it's around 80-90% of the people, and near 100% of the
> > > professional
> > > programmers.
> >
> > I can only shake my head when people throw out wild guesses like that...
> >
> > Subversion is quickly being obsoleted by more powerful tools.
>
> Gerd is right.  Subversion is not that big. In corporations you're
> more likely to find something like Perforce or SourceSafe.  Just
> because it's big in the open source realm doesn't mean it's big
> everywhere.

Not just the corporations are looking at alternatives to svn.

I don't have any numbers but..

>From where I sit I'm amazed at the rapid adoption of git in the open source
community.  While subversion might still be big, git has a lot of upward
velocity.

A lot of this has to do, it seems to me, with the groundbreaking combination
of social networking with version control as exemplified by sites like
github.com.

--
Rick DeNatale