[TxMt] Is there a limited heap or stack for running ruby in textmate?

rburrowes r.burrowes at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 25 00:39:40 UTC 2009

I get the following error running a ruby program in Textmate, but it works
fine running it from the command line. The program creates a lot of strings,
and slightly reducing this just slightly makes the error go away.

I get this in Textmate
    2 DATE 11 Jan 2001
at top level in 3 TIME 15 at line 56
  1 RIN 13

but this on the command line (which is correct)
    2 DATE 11 Jan 2001
      3 TIME 15:56:49
  1 RIN 13

Oddly, if I "puts s.reverse" in textmate, I get the right output too
(reversed of course:). I also don't get the error if I print to a file,
rather than printing to the Textmate output window (and I'm only printing
out a very short segment of text from the program).

       s = f.to_gedcom
       puts s              #output window copy gives the error (before
File.open).
       File.open('/tmp/xx.txt','w') { |fd| fd.print s }            #file
copy is correct
       puts s              #output window copy gives the error (and also
after File.open)

So is there a heap or stack size issue running ruby from textmate? Any other
guesses at what is happening? It does it under Ruby 1.8.6 and Ruby 1.9.1.