[TxMt] replace some-site.com with example.com?

Clifford T. Matthews ctm at sceim.net
Wed Mar 18 17:37:26 UTC 2009

The Hyperlink Helper bundle's Wrap Selection as Link will default to
"http://some-site.com/" if it can't find something else to link to (e.g.
something on the clipboard).  Unfortunately, some-site.com is a real site
which people probably don't want to link to by accident.

RFC 2606 <http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2606.txt> states that example.com
can be used, and if someone does indeed go to example.com, they don't
get surprised.

I'm sending this info because the "Send Feedback..." portion of TextMate
brought up a page that suggested Bundle bugs to be discussed here.  I don't
know if the current behavior is considered by others to be a bug, but we
had a near miss that almost caused some-site.com to be linked to in our
production web pages.  We'd definitely have preferred example.com to
be in our pages had we not caught the mistake.
--
Cliff Matthews <ctm at sceim.net>
       formerly ctm at ardi.com