[TxMt] Re: old version of textmate

Jay Soffian jaysoffian at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 19:52:21 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 6:17 AM, Michael Dewar <mikedewar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> So the new version of textmate broke Pymate for me in some way that no-one's
> been able to figure out see:
>http://www.nabble.com/Python-Bundle-Problem---uncaught-signal--11-after...-td22118564.html
>http://www.nabble.com/support-td22230035.html

Signal 11 is a segfault, which means Python is accessing memory
outside of where it should. Python should _never_ do this, and the
Python developers consider it a bug if the interpreter crashes.

That said, I don't understand why it happens only when running from
TM, but clearly something is different when you are running Python in
the TM environment than your shell (Terminal) environment.

So, a few things:

1) Open a new TextMate window and run Text -> Filter Through Command….
Enter "env | sort" as the command, and select Input: None, Output:
Replace Document. Then cut and paste the results for us.

2) Similarly, run "env | sort" in a Terminal window and cut and paste
those results as well.

3) Since Python is crashing, there is a crash log. Look in
~Library/Logs/CrashReporter and send us the most recent python
interpreter crash log.

4) The fact that `which python` returns
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin/python" is
odd. Apparently you have
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin" in your
PATH before /usr/bin. Just out of curiosity, what does ls -l
/usr/bin/python show?

5) Does the crash only happen when you import scipy? How about a
simple script such as:

#!/usr/bin/python
import sys
print sys.version

Will that run properly from within TextMate?

j.