[TxMt] Re: US keymap

David Bourguignon tal.bourguignon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 09:38:21 UTC 2009

2009/3/11 David Morton <mortonda at dgrmm.net>

> Édouard Gilbert wrote:
>
> > And I discovered some years ago that some english-speaking people
> > don’t even know there are other layouts than US.
> >

> As is true when it comes to data formats, and language, too.   As one of
> those US centric people, I still have yet to find someone to tell me how
> 'ü' sounds different from 'u'and all that.  I have learned 'ñ' from
> Spanish class. :)    For that matter, is there an audible distinction
> between Édouard and Edouard?  (Or if I were to naively translate to a
> more english name, Edward)   Yes, I speak out of ignorance. At least I
> know how to type the right letters. :)

Well as another french speaker, I can respond :
In french, the ¨ is a mark that a vowels combo is not a diphtong (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diphthong), and sometime it's just a
disambiguation sign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaeresis) .

In German, it's different, as "ü" is pronounced as a french "u" :-)

Too bad that computer ASCII was invented by english speakers, English is one
of the rare european language without diacritics.

As you see, I have the same first name as you, spelling the same, but I can
assure you that there is a real and audible difference (and never speak of
my last name, as I have always had to spell it when travelling)

Thanks for listening …