[TxMt] Re: US keymap

Édouard Gilbert edouard.gilbert at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 12:09:10 UTC 2009

Le 11 mars 09 à 10:46, Allan Odgaard a écrit :

>> May I ask why you didn't make the shortcuts so that they worked on
>> both
>> US and European keyboards, if you have one yourself? [...]
>
> I am not sure what shortcuts you are referring to. Those in the
> various bundles (which I think is what started this thread) are not
> chosen by me.

Not to mention there are a lot of different keyboards. Just for
French (as in “I speak French”), there is at least:
— PC French (as in “I live in France”), AZERTY
— PC Belgian French, AZERTY
— Mac French and Belgian French, a subtle mix of the previous two
and the one I've always used
— Canadian French, QWERTY — I might switch to this one or
multilingual Canadian someday, but as not as long as I use laptops
— Swiss French, QWERTZ — even though it sounds like the Swiss
keyboards don’t vary a lot between languages

On Mac French keyboard, / { } _ are 2-keys, \ [ ] 3-keys, ^ is dead
key. Numbers are 2-keys, too. Quite a pain when selecting commands
from a menu, especially as none of the non-shifted key is ever to be
useful in that context (how fast can you say &é"'(§è!çà ?).
Both ⌘3 and ⌘4 can’t be used on this layout as they have to be
shifted and thus take snapshots. Also the default shortcut for TM
Indent Line can’t be typed either.

And I discovered some years ago that some english-speaking people
don’t even know there are other layouts than US.

Typewriter designer should have think of us when they designed their
keyboards.

Édouard