[TxMt] Re: Maximum file size.

Thu Mar 5 22:19:03 UTC 2009

On 4 Mar 2009, at 19:21, Seungchan Oh wrote:

> What is the max file size that TM supports?
> TextEdit is able to open 267MB file and working smoothly.

It works smoothly? Not my experience ;)

> However I got an "Out of Memory" error.
> There are 3.9GB free memory in the system.

Despite the amount of system memory, a single application normally
can’t get more than around a giga-byte, and because of all the parsing
TextMate does (assign scopes to things), internally using UTF-16, etc.
it will generally require probably 8 times the file size. There is no
exact limit, but probably ~150-200 MB is a good estimate.

On a related note though, TextMate is _not_ designed to work with
large files.