[TxMt] US keymap (was: Some newbie questions . . .)

Thu Mar 5 21:56:57 UTC 2009

On 25 Feb 2009, at 14:16, Thorsten Hamann wrote:

> Hans-Jörg Bibiko schrieb:
>> By myself, I'm German, I'm using an US-keyboard due to these
>> conflicts
>> and to learn how to type ü or ß is VERY easy. In other words if you
>> use an US/GB keyboard  instead make the life (on a Mac) much easier.
>
> wow, just wow. :) [...] if I have to choose between some minor
> inconvenience in one or two applications [and] having to learn
> shortcuts for common characters of my native language  [...] I'll
> choose the inconvenience of sometimes having to use the mouse [...]

For those of us working a lot in the shell or writing source code or
similar, most European keyboards are a MAJOR inconvenience, hopefully
people are not switching keyboard layout just to make ⌘/ easier, but
because they type a lot of {, }, [, ], /, \, |, etc.  The ratio of
before mentioned characters and Danish accented characters is probably
1:1,000…