[TxMt] right-to-left languages causing havoc in textmate

running running.cz at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 01:41:36 UTC 2009

Hello,

I needed to write perl code with some arabic letters recently. While
right-to-left languages are (excuse me) pain in the *** on more than
one level, textmate is not really helping me.

if I edit RTL language in TextMate, cursor moves "as expected" (=
right key moves right, lef key moves left), which is not standard
behaviour with RTL languages (in other editors, when you press right
in RTL language, you move left, and left moves right). But that would
be OK.

But it doesn't end there - if you, in TM, edit something on one end of
RTL text, it appears on the OTHER end. So, you are writing something
at the other end of the line, where the cursor is, so you don't know
where you will be writing until you write.

If RTL is mixed with LTR, the letters appear/dissapear randomly, but
never where the cursor is.

Another thing, maybe more important? - the file is actually saved
differently from how it looks in textmate. Example: in textmate, it
looks like this:

http://i41.tinypic.com/b8n636.png

but in textedit (and how perl sees it) it looks like this:

http://i40.tinypic.com/2i2bke8.png

(notice the misplaced parenthesis and semicolon)

I don't really use Arabic much, but I think it is a bug worth fixing.

Karel Bilek