[TxMt] Re: Texmate 2

Martin Hess martinhess at me.com
Mon Jun 15 16:34:34 UTC 2009

I think people are guessing that the free upgrade is the source of the
long wait for 2.0. But after reading Alan's post I can't agree with
people that he isn't motivated to get it done. It seems to me that he
is seeking a kind of perfection in realizing his vision -- a vision he
hasn't really shared with us so we have no ability to judge it.

However, I think there is away for Alan to keep his free upgrade
promise and still make some upgrade revenue. It would be very
reasonable to make 2.0 a paid upgrade for some period of time, and
then free afterwards. Maybe 6-12 months might be reasonable. Those of
us with the ability and inclination to get 2.0 right away will gladly
pay to get 2.0 early. The rest will still get their free upgrade, but
they will have to wait a bit.