[TxMt] Re: Slow bundles

Martin Kühl martin.kuehl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 08:59:54 UTC 2009

On 04.06.2009, at 10:05, Juho Makkonen wrote:

> Allan Odgaard wrote:
>> On 3 Jun 2009, at 22:07, Juho Makkonen wrote:
>>

>>> [...]
>>> if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
>>>       eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
>>> fi
>>>

>> With a long PATH this one can take a _loooong_ time to execute (I
>> filed a performance bug against it), try disable/comment it.
>>

> This solved the problem, thanks! What is the point in those lines
> anyway, does commenting them cause any problems?

Those lines add the components defined in /etc/paths and /etc/paths.d/
* to your PATH, making executables there available to your shell
processes.
The downside of disabling them is that for executables found in one of
those directories you need to either add their component to PATH
manually or type their full path when you want to run them.

FWIW, I’ve applied the patch at http://gist.github.com/123525 to my
system, which takes care of the slowdowns for me. Of course you should
backup the path_helper script beforehand, patching system scripts is
generally not a good idea, use at your own risk and so on.

Martin