[TxMt] Hard-coding a search string into a Macro

Jon Ippolito jippolito at maine.edu
Mon Jul 20 16:30:38 UTC 2009

I'm confused about how to record a macro using a pre-defined text
string *without* defaulting to whatever was last in my Find dialogue.

For example, for use after invoking Edit-in-TextMate for an email
reply, I recorded a trivial macro that searches for

"On dateblah Jane Rodriguez wrote:"

then captures the first name using something like this

^.+? (\w+) \w+ wrote:$

and finally plops this at the top of my reply:

"Hi Jane,"

(What can I say, I'm a lazy correspondent.)

I've tried setting the macro both to local and global clipboards, and
also editing the macro syntax (with which I'm not terribly familiar)
to something like this:

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>commands</key>
	<array>
		<dict>
			<key>argument</key>
			<string>wrote:</string>
			<key>command</key>
			<string>findNext:</string>
		</dict>

Seems like this should be easy, but I'm stuck--any help appreciated.

jon

PS: thanks to Jay Soffian for solving my JavaScript-as-TextMate script
question!