[TxMt] Re: git noob question - bundle on github: how?

Martin Kühl martin.kuehl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:52:13 UTC 2009

On 13.07.2009, at 14:47, minimal design wrote:

>>> How do you guys do it?
>>
>> I keep the bundles I hack on completely in ~/.../TextMate/Bundles,
>> and
>> those I mainly just _use_ in ~/.../Pristine Copy/Bundles. That way,
>> editing my own bundles in TextMate changes exactly the files I want
>> push out, while my changes to other bundles is kept outside of their
>> source tree and won?t lead to merge conflicts.
>>
>> Going back to git, when you create a repository on GitHub it gets you
>> to a page containing step by step instructions for getting your
>> source
>> tree or local repository into the new remote repository.
>
> I'm not asking help on how to create a git repo or using github etc.
> That's fine... What I'm not clear about is how you manage the workflow
> so that you don't have to copy the bundles to a different place and
> just make the bundles you're using within TextMate repos themselves.
> Or if you shouldn't do that at all? How do you "keep the bundles I
> hack on completely in ~/.../TextMate/Bundles"? Do you manually copy
> from the pristin/ folder first? Because the ~/.../TextMate/Bundles
> only contains the changes you've made to~/.../Pristine Copy/Bundles
> right? So you can't just push that without including what in Pristine
> too. Or am I over thinking this somehow?

Ah, I see. Sorry I misunderstood you before :-)

~/.../TextMate/Bundles only contains the changes from ~/.../Pristine
Copy/Bundles _if_ there is a bundle in the Pristine Copy folder.
That’s the destination TextMate installs to when you double-click
bundles in the Finder, but you can just as well place bundles directly
in ~/.../TextMate/Bundles.

To summarize:
- Assuming you start with a “clean slate”, i.e. there is no version of
your bundle in either …/Bundles or …/Pristine Copy, and
- assuming you have a complete current version of your bundle around
somewhere _else_, you would
- copy (recursively) the bundle into your …/TextMate/Bundles folder,
then
- do any git/generic-scm/other setup hubbub you want.
After making changes in the Bundle Editor, your bundle contents will
be changed _in place_, and you can perform your favourite version of
the commit/push dance.

As for combining a bundle’s Pristine Copy and tmDeltas, I find the
easiest way for that to be:
Just drag the bundle out of the Bundle Editor and drop it onto your
desktop; the dropped bundle will include all of the deltas you want.

Hope that’s more helpful?
Martin