[TxMt] Re: Searching the Objective-C documentation

dreamcat7 dreamcat7 at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:23:22 UTC 2009

Hi,
Actually thinking about it there are some more things we could really
to with do here.
Here are the change up-to now.

1) We chopped the input into only one word so the script can handle it
better and not throw to the tooltip a big error. I put this
stripping / to the query string, however it really should move to the
search_docs(query) command, where we are executing the search. Sorry
but I did add to there and break the ruby code.

Ctrl-H --> documentation_for_word() --> search_docs_all(query) -->
search_docs(query)**  --> docsetutil
Ctrl-H --> documentation_for_word() --> search_docs_all(query) -->
man_page(query)**     --> man

2) If we keep the full string in query variable, then when we print
the tooltip, we can show the full text back to the user.
As it stands we show back the doctored text, i.e. the first word or
line of the selected text.

3) With the latest (above) the command it still may not execute right
for conditions where there are spaces, tabs, or newline characters etc
before the text point. So cleaning up the input should be tested and
tweaked some more.

4) If the word is wrapped in square brackets. e.g. [NSArray] - then
TM_SELECTED_TEXT will not work but TM_CURRENT_WORD will.
Again, a better place to sanitize this input may be either
search_docs(query) or search_docs_all(query)

5) If we have just run the command (Ctrl-H) then we have opened a Web-
window and not a text window.
Can we press Ctrl-H here (in the html window) to bring up the dialog
again to perform another search?

This would be much more convenient when we are engaged in the activity
only for searching, and reading documentation.
Not to need to switch back to the working document, to run this
command ?

6) As Allan wants we will show the search box only conditionally, when
there isnt a current word on the caret. However it would be a nice
option to have for those who always want to show it. This may sound
like a personal request, however i would be very grateful because
pressing Ctrl-W is very much more difficult with RSI than to press
enter key with the dialog. So to check on TM_DOC_SEARCH_BOX_ALWAYS or
a defaulted argument will allow the user to customise :)

def documentation_for_word( show_always = FALSE ) ?

dreamcat7
dreamcat7 at googlemail.com